Step One Hundred and Sixty-Six


Step 166. My Mission Is Great. Therefore, I Am Free To Do Small Things.
It is only in your grandiose ideas, which are a cover for fear, anxiety and despair, that you would avoid the small things that are required of you to do in the world. Again, do not confuse the greatness of your mission with the smallness of your duties. Greatness expresses itself in the smallest thing, in the tiniest action, in the most fleeting thought, in the simplest gesture and in the most mundane circumstances. Thus, maintain your small actions in the world so that Knowledge in time may express itself through them. Actions in the world are small in contrast to the greatness of Knowledge. Prior to your preparation, the world was considered great and Knowledge small, but you are now learning that the opposite is true—that Knowledge is great and the world is small. This also means that your activities in the world are small, but they are vehicles through which Knowledge may express itself.

Therefore, be content doing small things in the world. Be simple and humble in the world so that greatness may flow through you without obstruction.

This practice will require repetition upon the hour and deep consideration in your two longer practice periods, where you will engage your mind actively in comprehending the meaning of today’s idea. Use your mind for investigation. Allow yourself to consider these things. Do not rely on conclusions but continue your exploration. This is the right use of your mind which will lead you to a greater understanding. Here the mind is not merely weaving visions and illusions to take itself away from its own anxiety. Here the mind is examining its own content. Here the mind is working on behalf of Knowledge, as it was intended to do.

Practice 166: Two 30-minute practice periods. Hourly practice.

Here you will find the entire book free for download http://stepstoknowledge.com/

Here you will find pointers for getting started if this is your first encounter with this practice: Taking the Steps to Knowledge.

July 8, 2013 Round One: I am struck by the sentence in this Step that says,

“Greatness expresses itself in the smallest thing, in the tiniest action, in the most fleeting thought, in the simplest gesture and in the most mundane circumstances,"

and by the concept that my small activities in the world "are vehicles through which Knowledge may express itself.” 

It is empowering to know that as I go contentedly about my small duties each day in a focused and aware way, I am serving Knowledge and allowing it to express itself in the world. I wish to train my mind in a way that allows it to work on behalf of Knowledge, thus leading me to greater understanding and comprehension of my mission.

January 10, 2015 Round Two: It makes perfect sense to me that the great is expressed through the small. I am not for doing grandiose things, I am only for reclaiming Knowledge and expressing it through my small activities. I do not need to be anxious, I do not need to fear, I do not need to make things up or envision something that is beyond me. I know I only need to do what is inherent of me, what fits my personality and abilities. I am learning to be intuitively aware of what I can do and cannot do, where I can tread with gentleness and respect and where it is best not to go. As I train my mind to recognize Knowledge, I am free to do small things.

December 14, 2018 Round Three: Greatness expresses itself through small things. My small activities are vehicles through which Knowledge may express itself. I am to be simple and humble in the world so that  greatness may flow through me without obstruction. In my practices today, I am to use my mind constructively to examine its contents and what I think about this idea. I understand it, it is clear to me. I understand the concept. I go happily about my small duties and activities because this is how greatness is expressed in the world. My mind is intended to work on behalf of Knowledge. Meditation - 5.08 - 5.25.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step Three Hundred and Seventeen

Step Three Hundred and Twelve

Step Three Hundred and Fifteen