Step Forty-Two


Step 42. Review
In your review today, review all of the instructions given in the past week and your experiences of practice. Take special care today to see how deeply and how carefully you are practicing. Make sure that you are not changing or adjusting the lessons to meet your tastes or expectations. Remember that you need only follow the curriculum to receive its true rewards. Your part is small. Our part is great. We give the means. You need only follow them, in faith and in true expectation. In doing this, you will develop patience, discernment, trust, consistency and self-worth. Why self-worth? Because you must value yourself highly to allow yourself to approach the great gifts of Knowledge. Nothing else will undo self-hatred and self-doubt more expediently and more completely than receiving the gifts that are meant for you.

Therefore, in your one long practice period today, review the past week of practice. Without judgment look and see what has been offered, what you have done and what can possibly be done to deepen your practice so that you may receive its benefits more directly. If you are having difficulty, recognize the problems and attempt to correct them. Give the week ahead greater involvement. In doing so, you will correct self-doubt and confusion merely by directing your will.

Practice 42: One long practice period.

Here you will find the entire book free for download http://stepstoknowledge.com/


Here you will find pointers for getting started if this is your first encounter with this practice: Taking the Steps to Knowledge.

December 20, 2012 Round One: Self-worth…. This is a tough one because for me it seems so easy for a feeling of self-worth to develop into arrogance, and whenever that happens I am brought back to earth with a thud. The self-worth it talks about here though has a different quality that I want to cultivate—valuing myself enough to feel I am worthy of the great gifts of Knowledge—hmmm, there seems to be something in that. And again, looking at things without judgment is certainly an attribute to be cultivated.

I want to take what is being offered and use it for my Higher Good and, since I am part of the whole, for the Higher Good of the rest of humanity. I humbly wish to follow in faith and true expectation, and receive the true rewards.

August 13, 2014 Round Two: The reviews allow for stock-taking, a time to reflect on the past week of lessons and think about how carefully and deeply I am practicing.

"Take special care today to see how deeply and how carefully you are practicing."

I feel that I am practicing deeply and carefully because Steps live in me as a guide for being and doing. I do not have to make a special effort to integrate what they are recommending.

"Make sure that you are not changing or adjusting the lessons to meet your tastes or expectations."

However, this sentence brought me up short. I thought, whoa! Am I not doing that? Am I not changing and adjusting the lessons to meet my tastes? I do not always do the two practices religiously, do not spend thirty minutes twice a day (in those steps that call for it).

This review has given me the following understanding: my life is a mystery to explore, there is a way to Knowledge, the power of God is with me, and I am worthy of these gifts. If I accept the mystery, understand that I am making my way toward Knowledge, trust that the power of God is leading me in the right direction, and know I am worthy of being a recipient of these gifts, I am in a position to step boldly on toward reclaiming my True Self. 

I do not share everything that came to me in this review. Some things I keep within myself because there they remain sacred and an expression of my personal experience.

July 29, 2018 Round Three: Again I am cognizant of the sentence that says I am not to change anything to meet my tastes and expectations. Again I do not always have the opportunity to do two 30-minute practices. But I am not deliberately changing the curriculum to meet my tastes and expectations - the Step means something else by this. I am humbly following the instructions to the best of my ability and reaping the rewards.

This past week of Steps has shown me that I am strong and have the sense of self-worth necessary to follow this practice and receive its great gifts. I am experiencing this within myself and in my life. Any outer inconveniences or irritations are minor compared to the glory of what I feel inside. I think about each Step throughout the day and feel what it is offering. This review asks me to look without judgment, see what has been offered, what I have done and what can possibly be done to deepen my practice, so that I can receive its benefits more directly. I have self-worth because I am open to receive the benefits and great gifts being offered. I am worthy of this.

Step 36. My life is a mystery to explore. I am opening up to receive my Spiritual Teachers. They are with me and guiding me to magnificence.

Step 37. There is a way to Knowledge. It is through stillness and opening to the God-force in my life.

Step 38. God knows the way to Knowledge - it is manifested through accepting God’s gift of Knowledge. God is the sum-total of Knowledge in the Universe. I accept the access to Knowledge given to me. It is a gift.

Step 39. The power of God is with me. Of course, it is my inheritance, if I am reclaiming Knowledge (which I am). I am welcoming the power of God into my life. I saw my Teachers’ eyes during meditation. I felt the power of God.

Step 40. Today I will feel the power of God. I did.

Step 41. I am not afraid of the power of God. I am not, for God is the sum-total of all, so what is there to be afraid of. God has bestowed on me the gift of Knowledge. I am to reclaim it and experience the wonder of my life unfolding. And I am indeed experiencing this. My life has been magnificent this week. I have felt deep joy, harmony, the rushing effervescence of my vital energy, my capacity, my ability to do all that has to be done in my life - work, spiritual practice, health, relationships - all is balanced and building. My 4 Pillars are strong and vital.

I feel as though I followed the instructions and did what each Step asked of me. And I benefitted from my practice. I received the gifts given me - the Presence of God and my Teachers - the magnificence of their Presence and guidance in my life. I have done as asked and reaped the benefits. I have strength, it comes from Knowledge placed within me by God. I trust this strength and allow nothing to dissuade me or belittle me. I am a force to be reckoned with!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step Three Hundred and Seventeen

Step Three Hundred and Twelve

Step Three Hundred and Fifteen