Step Two Hundred and Seventy-Seven


Step 277. My Ideas Are Small, But Knowledge Is Great.
Realizing the truth of this statement will allow you to align yourself with the source of all Knowledge. Then you can escape the darkness of the world of imagination. Imagination is unstable, and even its brightest moments can turn to darkness in a second. Even its greatest inspirations can be bitterly discouraged with the slightest provocation. Here there is no certainty. Here there is no reality. Here nothing is trustworthy, for only change can be expected. That which is gifted and valued will most certainly be lost. That which is grim and destructive will most certainly pursue you.

Such is a life lived in imagination. Such is a life lived in the isolation of your own thinking. Do not underestimate the power of Knowledge to liberate you from this hopeless situation where nothing genuine can be discerned, where no true meaning can be acquired and where nothing that is permanent and real can be realized and established. It is your salvation out of the darkness of your separate imagination that will lead you into the reality of life and will redeem you there.

Realize here that even your greatest ideas, even those ideas born of Knowledge, are small in contrast to Knowledge itself. Knowledge is the great source of your being as it is expressing itself in your individual life. Therefore, honor what is great and realize what is small. Realize that in time as Knowledge begins to emerge within you and as you allow it to express itself ever more freely, you will begin to recognize those thoughts that emanate from Knowledge and those thoughts that are merely imagined. Yet, even thoughts from Knowledge, which are far more powerful and effective than any other thought that you can imagine, even these thoughts which are the seeds of true understanding in the world are small in contrast to Knowledge.

Remember upon the hour the power of this idea, for it is given to liberate you from your own confusion and false assumptions. In your deeper practice periods today, apply your mind actively. Attempt to look at every idea that you hold dear, whether it be positive or negative. Look at any idea that you believe in or adhere to. Examine your relationship to the primary ideas that govern your life. Then, remind yourself after you look at each one that Knowledge is far greater than that idea. Here you will realize that there is a means for you to escape the world of ideas and enter the world of relationship, where everything is viable, real and based upon a foundation that can never change.

Practice 277: Two 30-minute practice periods. Hourly practice.


Here you will find the entire book free for download http://stepstoknowledge.com/

Here you will find pointers for getting started if this is your first encounter with this practice: Taking the Steps to Knowledge.

March 11, 2014 Round One: "Realize that in time as Knowledge begins to emerge within you and as you allow it to express itself ever more freely, you will begin to recognize those thoughts that emanate from Knowledge and those thoughts that are merely imagined."

This sentence spoke to me most loudly in this Step, for this is what I strive for – the ability and the knowing to distinguish between what comes from Knowledge and what comes from my imagination. I cannot say I have reached this point yet, although I do feel more confident in my ability to recognize the thoughts that emanate from Knowledge. How do I know? At this stage, I know because they stand the test of time. That is all I really know at the moment.

The Step goes on to say though:

"even these thoughts which are the seeds of true understanding in the world are small in contrast to Knowledge."

Yes, this is sobering, but I recognize it to be true. Knowledge is so vast and all-embracing that even my thoughts that come from Knowledge and not from my imagination are small in comparison, for they are still contained in my narrow vision of the world. I can only appreciate the greatness of Knowledge, but I cannot claim to know it all for myself. So be it.

May 14, 2015 Round Two: Upon revisiting what this Step offers for contemplation, I felt a strong inclination just to relinquish all ideas altogether, but I don't think that is the point. I don't think this Step is aiming to disappoint us in any way regarding the way our minds work and how we like to invest in our ideas, rather it is saying "there is more to it than this," "don't stop here," meaning don't think some great idea is the "be all and end all." It is only the beginning. And ideas can be built on, but only if we are willing to embrace a more expansive vision.

This Step is pointing me to realize the limitations of my own way of thinking, the illusions built by my imagination, and helps me see that there is much more than this, much more than meets the eye, or is conjured up by the mind. It is not all about what I think and what ideas I have, it is much greater than this.

So I send my ideas off into the stream of life, releasing them like paper boats to make their own journey. I will not cling to them, or invest in them, I know not how true they are. They are small, and Knowledge is great.

April 11, 2019 Round Three: This is a good step in the context of my current situation. Any ideas I may have about what will or won’t happen are small compared to Knowledge. I am to examine my relationship with the primary ideas that govern my life and remind myself that Knowledge is far greater than that idea. This means I can have absolutely no preconceived ideas about how life will turn out, no matter what I think. Whatever ideas I have, Knowledge is greater. However, I feel I am operating on a Knowledge-based scenario, my ideas reach beyond the “normal” scope of things. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step Three Hundred and Seventeen

Step Three Hundred and Twelve

Step Three Hundred and Fifteen