Step Two Hundred and Forty-Nine


Connection Map
Step 249. Alone I Can Do Nothing.
Alone you can do nothing, for nothing in life is done alone. This is so very obvious if you simply observe the activity around you. No one is doing anything alone. This is so very true; it cannot be denied if you look upon the world honestly. Even if you were alone on a mountaintop without another soul in sight, you would not be alone, for your Teachers would be with you, and everything that you would accomplish there would be a joint effort, as everything that you accomplish with other people is a joint effort. This affirms the intrinsic nature of relationships and gives complete evidence to the fact that nothing can be done alone. In this, you must learn to value your relationships, for they are the vehicles for accomplishment in all areas and in all avenues of expression.

Therefore, we emphasize the value of your relationships to you who now seek to reclaim Knowledge. These relationships must be imbued with the Knowledge that you are reclaiming. Then they will have the stability, the efficacy and the grace that Knowledge contains for you. For only relationships based upon Knowledge can carry the Wisdom that Knowledge will exert within the world. Relationships based upon personal attraction or personal fantasy do not have the foundation to carry Knowledge and will fail abruptly in the presence of the demands and requirements of a true life.

Therefore, as you reclaim Knowledge, you also learn the lessons of relationships. Remind yourself of this upon the hour and witness the obviousness of today’s lesson in whatever context you find yourself. If you look, you will see that nothing can be done alone— on any level, in any avenue. Nothing can be done alone. There is no individual creativity. There is no individual contribution. There is no individual invention. The only thing that can be made alone is fantasy, and in this a great deal has been produced. But even this is shared and fortified as each individual fortifies it within his or her own imagination. Therefore, even illusion is shared and substantiated through relationship. Nothing can be done alone. Even illusion cannot be done alone. There is no escape from this. Yet, the fact that there is no escape from life is the true promise of your redemption, for here life will redeem you, and all that you have brought into the world will be activated and contributed.

In your deeper practice periods today, bring yourself to Knowledge and bring yourself to your Teachers in stillness and humility. Realize that you can do nothing alone. Even your attempt to discipline your mind and to prepare yourself for meditation is something you share with others who are practicing and with your Teachers as well. All power of God can be expressed through you, for nothing can be done alone.

Practice
 249
: Two 30-minute practice periods. Hourly practice.

Here you will find the entire book free for download http://stepstoknowledge.com/

Here you will find pointers for getting started if this is your first encounter with this practice: Taking the Steps to Knowledge.

January 25, 2014 Round One: This Step confirms or puts in a new light how I feel about the people in my life, the people I have close relationships with and the people I have met and felt an affiliation with in my life. I have always been intrigued by that feeling of instant rapport I get with some people, like I meet someone for the first time and feel as though I have known them all my life. I have often wondered why it happens with some people, while other people leave me indifferent. I decided in the past that the people I feel this affinity with in this life are people I have known before in past lives. Now however the more pertinent issue seems to be Knowledge. I feel this affinity because I recognize Knowledge in those people. I realize that everyone has Knowledge in them, but I am thinking that this Knowledge resonates at different vibrations, so I recognize it in those people where it resonates at sort of the same level as the Knowledge in me.

I cannot vouch for this, of course, it could well be just another fantasy. However, the fact cannot be denied that relationships do not just come out of nowhere, there is some underlying recognition, unconscious or not, that sparks some knowing, some confirmation that cultivating a relationship with a particular person will promote growth.

I can only be alone if I espouse separation. If I want to be separate, I can believe I am doing things alone. But this is not true, this is not reality—reality is that I am one with the whole, so alone is an illusion, while contributing to and strengthening the whole, along with everyone else, is what is real.

April 12, 2015 Round Two: Hah! I am anticipating, or jumping the gun, again. The poem by Maya Angelou I posted in the last Step might have been better posted in this Step.

I am particularly aware today that I can do nothing alone. Anything that is to be accomplished in my life is a joint effort, everything is intermeshed and intertwined, one thing having an effect and repercussions on another. I can build fantasies for myself, but they will not become a reality without the participation of others. My Teachers are instrumental in this, they take first place. My relationships with others are instrumental in this, both those close to me and tangential relationships that come my way. Everything blends together to form the Greater Plan. There are connections to be made, I can do nothing alone.

I received one of the core teachings of the New Message Living The Way of Knowledge in the mail yesterday sent by my dear friend Angel in the U.S. Something I read there in the first chapter “Living in an Emerging World” struck me and put another piece of the puzzle in place. It was talking about the limits of the body and mind that we experience in the world. Then it went on to say, “The Spirit within you, which we call Knowledge, must exercise its Wisdom, its beneficence and its purpose through these limited vehicles and through the circumstances that you face in everyday life.” So what I call my spirit, or my soul, is actually Knowledge, the part of me that was given by God, the part of me that exists in every other human being in the world and beyond this world. This gives me a deeper understanding of my nature and design and my purpose for being here. It is still very mysterious, but I am seeing a bigger picture, and it is all beginning to make more sense. Put this way, of course I am not separate and of course I can do nothing alone. I am part of a Greater Reality and Greater Truth.


March 14, 2019 Round Three: I understand that I can do nothing alone, everything is a joint effort. I especially understand that I could not be living this country life, at least not yet, without Sasha and our relationship of higher purpose. We still have our house to build and I couldn’t do that without Sasha and the builders we have hired. Even fantasy is shared. I am never alone or can do nothing alone for my Teachers are always with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step Three Hundred and Seventeen

Step Three Hundred and Twelve

Step Three Hundred and Fifteen