Step Thirty-Four


Step 34. I Am A Beginning Student Of Knowledge.
You are a beginning student of Knowledge. Regardless of how intuitive you may consider yourself, regardless of how mentally capable you may consider yourself, regardless of how emotionally honest you may consider yourself, no matter what your recognized advancement, you are a beginning student of Knowledge. Be happy that this is so, for beginning students are in a position to learn all things and need not defend their accomplishments. We do not belittle your accomplishments but instead wish to shine the light of truth upon the greatness that waits to be discovered within you, a greatness that will give you true equality in life and in time will reveal what you have come here specifically to do.

In your two practice periods, begin by acknowledging to yourself that you are a beginning student of Knowledge and by reminding yourself to make no premature conclusions either about this curriculum or about your abilities as a student. Such judgments are premature and rarely reflect the truth in any way. They are usually a form of self-discouragement and thus serve no worthy purpose at all.

After declaring today’s idea to yourself and reminding yourself not to judge, practice 15 minutes of inner stillness in your two practice periods. Attempt to feel the truth within you. Focus your mind on one point, either a physical point or an imaginary point if necessary. Let everything settle down inside. Let yourself become as quiet as possible, and do not be discouraged if there is difficulty. You are a beginning student of Knowledge and thus can learn all things.

Practice 34:
 
Two 15-minute practice periods.

Here you will find the entire book free for download http://stepstoknowledge.com/


Here you will find pointers for getting started if this is your first encounter with this practice: Taking the Steps to Knowledge.

December 10, 2012 Round One: Recognizing that I am a beginning student is always humbling and always paves the way to new learning. I am happy to be in a position to learn and not have to defend my accomplishments. I am waiting for the light of truth to shine upon me and I have no doubt that it will as long as I remain open and willing.

August 3, 2014 Round Two: This step is the first that asks me to practice inner stillness. I have been waiting for this, since the stillness practice that Steps recommend is something I wish to cultivate. I found it a very powerful tool the first time around. This time I wish to cultivate stillness even more. I wish to just be during the stillness practices, with no specific thoughts coming into my mind.

I find the state of being a beginning student to be very empowering. It so embraces the concept of humility I am partial to, of being teachable, being in a state of mind conducive to new consciousness, openness, receptivity, willingness to receive and be shown the way.

My place of stillness is a luminous cave with light descending from above through an opening. I stand in this shaft of light and allow it to penetrate me. If I open my eyes and look up, I see a dark starry sky with star dust, angel dust, falling down through the opening to the place where I stand. It enlightens my mind and makes me receptive to the reclamation of Knowledge.



During my two practice periods I allowed myself to be bathed in this light.

July 20, 2018 Round Three: No electricity today. Lightning struck around 7 pm yesterday and there was no electricity until around 1 pm today. And no Internet until around 5.30 pm. It was a relaxing, peaceful day without being pulled to the computer. A different energy. We went to Ira’s for the third anniversary of her son’s death. It was a mellow, easy time eating good food and socializing comfortably with the neighbors. I do not feel like a totally beginning student, I feel I have accomplished something and this Step acknowledges this. Only I understand that I still do not know and am teachable. I still have a lot to learn. Two 15-min stillness practices.

First practice - in the greenhouse - 4.51-5.06. Masha was curled on my lap. Some distraction. I wanted to talk to Hilary and was thinking about what I wanted to say. But I managed to focus on an inner spot and saw myself bending, bowing with a bent head on my knees while encircled by my Teachers who were blessing me.

Second practice - resting before going to Ira’s 12.43-12.58. No particular insights. I accept that I am a beginning student.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step Three Hundred and Seventeen

Step Three Hundred and Twelve

Step Three Hundred and Fifteen