Step Three Hundred and Thirty-One



Step 331. What Is Small Expresses That Which Is Great.

Look at nature around you. Look at the tiniest creature and realize the mystery of that creature’s existence, the wonder of its physical mechanism and the truth of its total inclusion in nature as a whole. The smallest creature can express the greatest truth. The simplest thing can express the power of the universe. Does a creature that is small express life and inclusion in life any less than a creature that is great? Using this analogy, realize that the smallest activity can embody the greatest teaching. Realize that the simplest word, the most common gesture, can express the deepest feeling and emotion. Realize that the simplest thing can add to your practice and confirm the presence of Knowledge within you. 

As you become attentive to life, you will begin to witness the mystery of life in all things. How great this will be for you who are now awakening from the sleep of your own separate imagination. The mystery of life will inspire you and call to you. It will confirm the mystery of your own life, which is becoming ever more real and demonstrative to you.
 

You may feel small, but you express the great. You do not need to be great to express the great because greatness is within you, and your physical vehicle is small in comparison to it. Your reality is born of the greatness that is with you that wishes to express itself in the simplicity of your small vehicle. Here you understand that you are of the great and you are working through the small. Here you will not contradict the relationship between the great and the small, where the small must express the great, which it does naturally. Does a little creature have to attempt to express the great? No. The great merely expresses itself through the little creature.

Thus, in your life—which at any moment may look small to you, which at any moment may look separate and confined—greatness is with you. Therefore, the small is utilized, confirmed, honored and blessed. Then, there is no basis for self-condemnation and hatred. All things great and small become appreciated, for all things great and small are together.

Upon the hour, then, within whatever small task, within whatever expression or gesture and within whatever small view, allow the great to express itself. In your two deeper practice periods, come again into the proximity of that which is great within you. Re-enter the fire of Knowledge which purifies you. Take sanctuary in the sanctuary of Knowledge. Here you encounter the great completely. This is beyond all form. Here that which infuses all form and gives it purpose, meaning and direction awaits you to receive it. The small expresses the great, and the great blesses the small.

Practice
 331: Two 30-minute practice periods. Hourly practice.
 
Here you will find the entire book free for download http://stepstoknowledge.com/

Here you will find pointers for getting started if this is your first encounter with this practice: Taking the Steps to Knowledge.

May 18, 2014 Round One: I love the analogy in this Step with the world of creatures, with the world of nature, drawing my attention to how everything is in such perfect harmony in Nature, every creature, every plant, every natural thing, no matter how small, has its part to play and contributes to the greatness of Nature. I can relate to this and apply it to myself and my place and contribution in the world. I am but a small part of a great whole that makes its contribution to the overall greatness of the Universe. This simple truth is gradually and steadily become part of my daily consciousness, becoming more and more integrated into my being.
“Using this analogy, realize that the smallest activity can embody the greatest teaching. Realize that the simplest word, the most common gesture, can express the deepest feeling and emotion. Realize that the simplest thing can add to your practice and confirm the presence of Knowledge within you.”

Yes, indeed.


July 7, 2015 Round Two: A spider came immediately to mind when I read this Step. A tiny spider weaves a magnificent, perfect web every day, a work of art that expresses the greatness of nature, and it cannot do otherwise. Its web-weaving is programmed into its way of being. I like to think that reclaiming Knowledge is programmed into my way of being. By living the Way of Knowledge I am expressing the great through the small. This is perfectly natural to me.



“In the journal I note that I’m going back to read the previous journal and finding some interesting thoughts. This is not a scheduled Steps Review, but something that the journals provide. If you travel or have some time for a book or magazine, but nothing is around, you can “read yourself.” It may be entertaining, enlightening or even a bit sad, but this also serves as a means to understand your growth. It may be that you captured a thought with some Knowledge in it and don’t recognize it until later, or in combination with other thoughts.”


I do this when I am traveling, away from home, when I have more time for journaling. I read back over my past entries in the journal I have with me. It is often so very enlightening. And often I do see things that I can now call Knowledge, that I recognize as Knowledge now, but did not know it was Knowledge at the time. This is so very edifying.


I am soon going to be traveling again, going fishing for a week. This is a time when I have more time to journal in a diary I always have with me, and I will be reading back and paying special attention to the appearances of Knowledge in my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step Thirty-Seven

Step Two Hundred and Fourteen

Step One Hundred and Ninety-Eight